Monday 30 May 2011

Let's get dirty!

My lovely Celeste came and helped mummy at the block today, we dug soil and mulch into pots and dragged them over to the new garden bed to start filling it.  As you can see she's a great helper!  I decided it was way too much like hard work carrying the pots though and piked after two loads, think i'll get husband to load the wheelbarrow into the car for tomorrow, much easier!

We did do a bit before we piked though, going to plant a heap of orchids under this tree.

I have a bit of a penchant for orchids, this is the block side of the tree where I've attached some lovely ones, about half of them are ones local to this area so they should grow well, plus some elkhorn ferns and a couple of test cases, will just have to see how they go :)  Should look pretty spiffy once they settle in and start growing and spreading properly around the tree!


Finally we created compost corner, put some wire on the ground to deter the supermice and then pegged the round one down so they can't squeeze under.  Put a small layer of leaf mulch in the bottom as a starter and I have a bin full of food scraps and grass clippings to take down tomorrow.

I'm loving this round compost bin so far, went to a talk run by the council on home composting, learnt heaps and came away with a free compost bin and scrap bucket too!  Thanks council, you're awesome (now hurry up and connect my water)


I'd finally like to send my thanks to my daughter, as a true lady she helped out tirelessly, didn't break a nail and kept herself squeaky clean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment